Member No.: 2
Group: Super Admin
Topics Started: 330
Last seen online:
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 1:46 pm
User's local time:
Sun, 13 Oct 2024 8:17 pm
Green Water: Yes

I have been asked a number of times how I change my green water. So here I outlined my steps. Please feel free to ask me to clarify on anything.

IPB Image

First, here’s a pic of my six days old green water in my indoor tub. The tub is lit during the first two days with TWO of that PL lamp (55 watts, 7000 Kelvin by SaferElectric you see in the pic. The strong 110 watts of intense lighting, however, was very quick in turning the water intensely green. I was impressed by their prowess, but have to reduce to just one lamp on the third day. The water temp does not go beyond 28-29°C.

I should make it clear that there is NO filtration in this tub. This is not bio-green; just normal artificially lit indoor green water.

Just before water change, the pH is a surprisingly low 7.8, while the ammonia level is 1.0 ppm. Six (healthy) little baby Ranchus reside in this tub. It’s their first time since I acquired them. I did not carry out Nitrite and Nitrate test since I know there’s no beneficial bacterials. I forgot to check the KH though. sad.gif Sorry. It should be nil since I didn’t dose any baking soda.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HappyBuddha
post Sat, 22 Nov 2003 6:39 am
Post #2

Founder
Group Icon

Last seen online:
User's local time:

DISCARDING THE OLD GREEN WATER

IPB Image

Pic 2 show I have siphon and drain away all the water. I moved the fishes into a white enamel basin, which you’ll see later, before I do that. I don’t like to leave my fishes inside, for reason you’ll see later in pic 4.

Algae are on the walls, and floor. In pic 2, the dark green area is where my heater used to be located. It’s a calm area where I normally would find brown debris had I used clear water. The debris is in a shade of dark green now instead. Hmm….
+Quote Post
HappyBuddha
post Sat, 22 Nov 2003 6:42 am
Post #3

Founder
Group Icon

Last seen online:
User's local time:

THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE TUB

IPB Image

Pic 4. biggrin.gif This may be controversial. I use washing detergent (for vegetables and fruits) to thoroughly clean the tub (and the heater and everything else except the air-stone.) Do so at your own risk! biggrin.gif Concentrated salt solution works as well but I like bubbly detergent. (Hullo, not dish washing detergent hor; special one for vege and fruits that we eat, ok? tongue.gif)

Pic 5. After rinsing the tub with warm water, fresh tap water is prepared by spraying it into the tub, which I have dosed Genesis Anti-chlorine/Chloramine. A bag of activated charcoal is thrown in for 15 minutes. I was told this further purifies the tap water. It’s harmless anyway and I can spare the time….
+Quote Post
HappyBuddha
post Sat, 22 Nov 2003 6:44 am
Post #4

Founder
Group Icon

Last seen online:
User's local time:

PREPARING THE NEW WATER

IPB Image

Pic 6. While I wait for the 15 minutes interval to “purify” the water using AC, the white enamel basin, which I have moved the fishes into earlier, is place and floating on top of the new water. This is to equalize the water temperature.

Pic 7. After removing the bag of activated charcoal, I dosed 2 g of baking soda to bring the pH up to 7.8 (from my tap’s pH 7.0). Normally I have to raise it as high as 8.5 but… like I mentioned earlier, the pH of this batch of old green water is a low 7.5. After blending the baking soda, I use my palms to move the fishes one-by-one into the tub. Note the water is completely free of any green water at this point, and the fishes are swimming around instead of hiding in a corner, a (strange-to-me) behaviour brought up by a bro recently. The KH is four degrees.
+Quote Post
HappyBuddha
post Sat, 22 Nov 2003 6:46 am
Post #5

Founder
Group Icon

Last seen online:
User's local time:

SEEDING THE OLD WATER

IPB Image

Pic 8. I have previously scoop and filled a small basin with old green water. The volume is probably less than a litre. The tub contains about 30 litres of water. So… that’s seeding… how many percent har? biggrin.gif

Pic 9 shows the new green water has been duly mixed up by the air-stone after about 5 minutes. The water is very lightly green tinted. The fishes are racing around the perimeter of the tub like formula 1 racing. I think they’re pleased with the new water.
+Quote Post
HappyBuddha
post Sat, 22 Nov 2003 6:48 am
Post #6

Founder
Group Icon

Last seen online:
User's local time:

TIRING WORK TO BE REPEATED WEEKLY!

Done.

I hope I didn’t miss out anything. biggrin.gif

Now to enjoy and inspect my fishes for sickness or injuries in the relatively clear water before they disappear again tomorrow in heavily tinted green water. sad.gif
+Quote Post
n-bie
post Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:52 am
Post #7

Ordinary
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,240
Group: Member
Topics Started: 1
Last seen online:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 5:39 pm
User's local time:
Sun, 13 Oct 2024 7:17 pm
Green Water: No

Hi Forum Bro,

Need some help here regarding green water.
I know in clear water grooming, hobbyist will do daily wc of 20-30% to obtain good water parameter and fast growth of ranchu.
My question is, is there the same advantage/disadvantage on growth rate and water parameter with green water, if we do wc say 10-15% daily, before weekly 100%wc?
I have my homemade outdoor pond of abt 1300 -1500l greenwater housing 12 (3.5 inch) ranchu. with just air stone in it.

Will appreciate any comments, thank you.

Cheers.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13-Oct-24 8:17 pm
Logo
RSS

Site Map
RafflesGold - Web Space for Goldfish Lovers
Copyrighted © 2003-2006 RafflesGold.com. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
RafflesGold.com is a non-profit independent hobbyist supported forum based in Singapore
Donate to keep us operational
Link to Us
Contact Us