Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Posting Guidelines 5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chloramine Level In Singapore?, Treating tap water containing chlorine / chloramine
The Matrix
post Wed, 27 Jul 2005 1:55 pm
Post #31

The Matrix
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 19
Group: Associate
Topics Started: 20
Last seen online:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 5:22 pm
User's local time:
Mon, 28 Oct 2024 12:19 pm
Green Water: Yes

quit drinking, got social help
quit smoking, got social help
quit gambling, got social help
quit doc's bad habit with social help ??? ok, beats me.

sweatingbullets.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
goldrush
post Wed, 27 Jul 2005 3:49 pm
Post #32

RG Doc.com
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 319
Group: Forum Doctor
Topics Started: 377
Last seen online:
Thu, 25 Jul 2024 4:16 pm
User's local time:
Green Water: No

I'm a bit busy to reply to all your accusation mad2.gif
Have to speak to my attorney to see any defamatory remarks are made.... guns.gif

IPB Image
+Quote Post
The Matrix
post Wed, 27 Jul 2005 4:11 pm
Post #33

The Matrix
Group Icon

User Gallery
Last seen online:
User's local time:

Ok ok ... let the hyena do the job ... blame them ...
+Quote Post
The Matrix
post Wed, 27 Jul 2005 4:30 pm
Post #34

The Matrix
Group Icon

User Gallery
Last seen online:
User's local time:

Since we stop here on the discussion of Chloramine level in Singapore ... let's summarize the points ...

1. Singapore water does have Chloramine.
2. Neutralising Chloramine is not a rocket science. There are several means to do so and easily available in the lfs.
3. Look at the commercial product labels which does neutralise Chloramine and Chlorine. Some products might not neutralise the resultant ammonia during the chemical reaction. Most of the branded commercial products are able to perform the necessary neutralisation. Only a small handful of cheaper products do not.
4. As long as one has a good running cycled filter working, ammonia produced by the general dechlorination will not have adverse reaction to the living organisms.
5. Commercial products are not costly at all compare to the cost of the fish. Don't be stingy on it.
6. Water tests may be conducted but it is up to the individual.
7. Even local water is meant for human consumption, it may be toxic to the fish. Do not go out there to buy cheap offer products immediately. Read thru the discussion and understand it thoroughly.

Most importantly, I must stress, arm yourself with knowledge, not cheaper offer products. If you do not understand the product, test it or ask for detail explaination from the seller or manufacturer.
+Quote Post
goldrush
post Wed, 27 Jul 2005 7:19 pm
Post #35

RG Doc.com
Group Icon

User Gallery
Last seen online:
User's local time:

good_very.gif good_very.gif good_very.gif

IPB Image
+Quote Post
CP
post Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:42 pm
Post #36

Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 309
Group: Super Moderator
Topics Started: 59
Last seen online:
Mon, 13 Feb 2023 10:37 pm
User's local time:

A very good summary, Matrix.No heavy stuff,easily digested and straight to the point.

My only regret is that we do not have anyone from PUB participating in this thread.Their input would have been very valuable.Anyone here with links to the PUB?
+Quote Post
desireless
post Thu, 28 Jul 2005 2:09 am
Post #37

养鱼养得好又如何
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 9
Group: Super Moderator
Topics Started: 558
Last seen online:
Mon, 12 Sep 2022 3:49 pm
User's local time:

Why do I get the feeling that Matrix might be the "very senior personnel from PUB" whom 'someone' has "been communicating with" rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
goldrush
post Thu, 28 Jul 2005 9:25 am
Post #38

RG Doc.com
Group Icon

User Gallery
Last seen online:
User's local time:

I don't know Matrix's PUB relation but in RG we certainly can elect him to be our senior consultant in PUBic Affairs................

hysterical.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif
+Quote Post
9Ranchus
post Thu, 28 Jul 2005 9:26 am
Post #39

Silver
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116
Group: Member
Topics Started: 3
Last seen online:
Sat, 02 Aug 2008 9:14 am
User's local time:

Great summary. Appreciated the simplicity. It suits people like me who cannot handle science and maths.

Q : I was told Chloramine, unlike Chorine, cannot be removed by ageing water over night. It can only be neutralised by introducing anti Cholramine. In this case, what benefits are there to still age our water?

QUOTE(The Matrix @ Wed, 27 Jul 2005 4:30 pm)
Since we stop here on the discussion of Chloramine level in Singapore ... let's summarize the points ...

1. Singapore water does have Chloramine.
2. Neutralising Chloramine is not a rocket science. There are several means to do so and easily available in the lfs.
3. Look at the commercial product labels which does neutralise Chloramine and Chlorine. Some products might not neutralise the resultant ammonia during the chemical reaction. Most of the branded commercial products are able to perform the necessary neutralisation. Only a small handful of cheaper products do not.
4. As long as one has a good running cycled filter working, ammonia produced by the general dechlorination will not have adverse reaction to the living organisms.
5. Commercial products are not costly at all compare to the cost of the fish. Don't be stingy on it.
6. Water tests may be conducted but it is up to the individual.
7. Even local water is meant for human consumption, it may be toxic to the fish. Do not go out there to buy cheap offer products immediately. Read thru the discussion and understand it thoroughly.

Most importantly, I must stress, arm yourself with knowledge, not cheaper offer products. If you do not understand the product, test it or ask for detail explaination from the seller or manufacturer.

+Quote Post
goldrush
post Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:23 am
Post #40

RG Doc.com
Group Icon

User Gallery
Last seen online:
User's local time:

Hi 9 ranchus
First, to use aged water is to dissipate all chlorine and not chloramines in a relative short period for those that don’t use sodium thiosulphate (hypo) for neutralizing the Chlorine.As for the residual NH3 dissociates from Chloramine,as being discussed its value are negligible, easily coped with by your biofilter or any propriety products if you are not comfortable with its presence.It is the Chlorine from the tap that does the “most” damage rather than the ammonia so neutralizing it sets precedence!So if you are still confuse please buy the 2 in 1 preparation for ease of execution.(cp has provided a link on this already)

Regards
goldrush
+Quote Post
9Ranchus
post Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:34 am
Post #41

Silver
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,116
Topics Started: 3
Last seen online:
Sat, 02 Aug 2008 9:14 am
User's local time:

QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:23 am)
Hi 9 ranchus
First, to use aged water is to dissipate all chlorine and not chloramines in a relative short period for those that don’t use sodium thiosulphate (hypo) for neutralizing the Chlorine.As for the residual NH3 dissociates from Chloramine,as being discussed its value are negligible, easily coped with by  your biofilter or any propriety products if you are not comfortable with its presence.It is the Chlorine from the tap that does the “most” damage rather than the ammonia so neutralizing it sets precedence!So if you are still confuse please buy the 2 in 1 preparation for ease of execution.(cp has provided a link on this already)

Regards
goldrush

Hi, Goldrush.
Thanks. In short, there is no purpose to age water if Chlorine is not present in our water - right? There are some hear say about PUB no longer uses Chlorine (Chloramine only) in our water.

regards
9Ranchus
+Quote Post
jhansolo
post Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:54 am
Post #42

Silver
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 81
Topics Started: 28
Last seen online:
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:49 am
User's local time:

QUOTE(9Ranchus @ Thu, 28 Jul 2005 9:26 am)
what benefits are there to still age our water?

The only benefits is temperature and possible containing more oxygen when you change water.

on the latter, based on my testing I stay on the 11th flr and my supply comes from the tank above. O2 from the tap is acceptable not the best measured in the late morning at about 26 degrees. O2 depends on your temperature, so when you age water you have to reduce the temperature to get to the level you want. The easier way is to add 1ml of h2o2 to every 50L, that works. But once you change water that will go very fast. Goldrush review about oxypur rocks, and it last a lot longer.
+Quote Post
ranchu8
post Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:17 am
Post #43

Gold
Group Icon

User Gallery
Member No.: 998
Topics Started: 26
Last seen online:
Thu, 29 Aug 2024 10:53 pm
User's local time:

For info, PUB in the past was using Cl only to treat our water. Since 10 years ago, PUB has been using Cl and ammonia for the treatment and this is why there is residual Cl and Chloramine (due to the binding of NH4 and Cl). No change.
+Quote Post
The Matrix
post Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:25 am
Post #44

The Matrix
Group Icon

User Gallery
Last seen online:
User's local time:

QUOTE(9Ranchus @ Thu, 28 Jul 2005 9:26 am)
Q : I was told Chloramine, unlike Chorine, cannot be removed by ageing water over night. It can only be neutralised by introducing anti Cholramine. In this case, what benefits are there to still age our water?

Thanks. In short, there is no purpose to age water if Chlorine is not present in our water - right? There are some hear say about PUB no longer uses Chlorine (Chloramine only) in our water.
regards
9Ranchus

Who ever said PUB don't use Chlorine anymore, he better come out with an explaination.

Chloramine = NH3 + CL2 ... the simplest form of chemistry. Chloramine formation is by adding ammonia compound ( in term of gas or solid salt ) into chlorinated water. And the reaction produce the product that we now talking about. I not going into detail of the chemical reaction formulation. Too complex for many.

Chlorine(aq) form can be easily dissipated thru heavy agitation in a containment area, but chloramine(aq) is very stable disinfectant. By right, Chloramine should still be able to dissipated, but the duration can last for months. Aging water in the good old days will not work as good as today. What I meant is that there are always some form of free chlorine in our water, so aging and agitating the water will still work on these minute trace of free chlorine.
+Quote Post
The Matrix
post Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:32 am
Post #45

The Matrix
Group Icon

User Gallery
Last seen online:
User's local time:

QUOTE(desireless @ Thu, 28 Jul 2005 2:09 am)
Why do I get the feeling that Matrix might be the "very senior personnel from PUB" whom 'someone' has "been communicating with"  rolleyes.gif

Definitely not me lah. I go pub terkan C3H5OH better. I prefer to "communicate" with the nice sweet mini-skirt little girls ... loverdance.gif
+Quote Post

Posting Guidelines 5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28-Oct-24 12:19 pm
Logo
RSS

Site Map
RafflesGold - Web Space for Goldfish Lovers
Copyrighted © 2003-2006 RafflesGold.com. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy
RafflesGold.com is a non-profit independent hobbyist supported forum based in Singapore
Donate to keep us operational
Link to Us
Contact Us